In Germany, they have now determined that 40% of all cash in the system is currently being hoarded. The German press, DWN, is also reporting that “Because of the rampant delta variant of the coronavirus, investors are again increasingly heading for the ‘safe haven’ dollar.”
Speaking at a Pentagon press briefing on Wednesday, Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, declined when pressed to elaborate on his congressional testimony last month linking the US Capitol riot to “white rage” and defending the military’s teaching of CRT.
“I’m not gonna address specifically white rage or black rage or Asian rage or Irish rage or English rage or German rage or any other rage,” Milley told reporters. “The events of January 6 happened. Those are all gonna get sorted out.” He added that it was important for the military to understand not only foreign societies, but “our own society – to understand the soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines, and the society they’re coming from.”
A Northern California wildfire prompted evacuations after crossing into Nevada as crews continue to battle a mammoth blaze in southern Oregon.
The Tamarack Fire south of Lake Tahoe had burned more than 68 square miles of timber and head-high chaparral in national forest land on Wednesday. It erupted on July 4 and was one of nearly two dozen blazes sparked by lightning strikes.
More than 1,200 firefighters were battling the Alpine County blaze, which has destroyed at least 10 buildings.
Fire officials expected active or extreme fire behavior on Thursday, which could see 14-mph winds and temperatures approaching 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
Considering four different unemployment statistics, personal finance company WalletHub found that all of the top ten cities for job growth since COVID-19 and the lockdown-induced recession are located in Republican-led states:
- Manchester, New Hampshire — Gov. Chris Sununu (R)
- Nashua, New Hampshire — Gov. Chris Sununu (R)
- Burlington, Vermont — Gov. Phil Scott (R)
- South Burlington, Vermont — Gov. Phil Scott (R)
- Lincoln, Nebraska — Gov. Pete Ricketts (R)
- Huntsville, Alabama — Gov. Kay Ivey (R)
- Omaha, Nebraska — Gov. Pete Ricketts (R)
- Salt Lake City, Utah — Gov. Spencer Cox
- Sioux Falls, South Dakota — Gov. Kristi Noem (R)
- Billings, Montana — Gov. Greg Gianforte (R)
Similarly, nine of the ten worst cities for labor market recovery are in Democrat-run states:
- Hialeah, Florida — Gov. Ron DeSantis (R)
- New Orleans, Louisiana — Gov. John Bel Edwards (D)
- Long Beach, California — Gov. Gavin Newsom (D)
- Glendale, California — Gov. Gavin Newsom (D)
- Newark, New Jersey — Gov. Phil Murphy (D)
- New York City, New York — Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D)
- Los Angeles, California — Gov. Gavin Newsom (D)
- San Bernardino, California — Gov. Gavin Newsom (D)
- Chicago, Illinois — Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D)
- North Las Vegas, Nevada — Gov. Steve Sisolak (D)Many cities have significantly more robust labor markets than before the recession. For instance, Nashua’s May 2021 unemployment rate was 44% lower than its May 2019 unemployment rate. However, the trend is entirely reversed for other cities: in Glendale, New York City, and Newark, respectively, unemployment in May 2021 was 171%, 158%, and 124% greater than in May 2019.
That’s one way to get around the need for launch pads.
On June 13, the U.S. Space Force launched a new intelligence-gathering satellite from Vandenberg Air Force Base, located along the coast of southern California. But the secretive satellite, itself, is just one small piece of the story.
This mission, designated the “Tactically Responsive Launch 2,” or TacRL-2, relied on Northrop Grumman’s Pegasus XL—a winged rocket that is carried aloft by an airliner—to launch the satellite into space. In this case, a Lockheed L-1011 Tristar commercial airliner, dubbed “Stargazer,” did the carrying.
It’s all a part of the Space Force’s efforts to decentralize space launches, generating missions on shorter notice, all without the need for a traditional launch pad.
The U.S. has only a handful of dedicated space launch facilities, located in California and Florida. Those facilities would be high-priority targets in a major war, open to sabotage or missile attack. So, a series of successful attacks could delay U.S. space launches for weeks or even months, hindering the deployment of new military satellites. TacRL-2 aims to reduce the Space Force’s reliance on such large, vulnerable bases.
A group of pro-Palestinian protestors burned an Israeli flag outside of Rockefeller Center as they marched through the streets of midtown Manhattan while demonstrating over businesses with ties to Israel.
The group carrying Palestinian flags and signs saying, ‘None of us are free until all of are free,’ ‘Imagine justice,’ and ‘We will free Palestine within our lifetime.’ They were also filmed chanting: ‘From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free’.’ Some critics claim that line is anti-Semitic because it appears to call for the destruction of Israel.
A now-retired nun has pleaded guilty to stealing more than $800,000 from the St. James Catholic School in Torrance, California, from 2008 to 2018, the last decade of her 28-year tenure as principal of the institution.
Sister Kreuper — who took a vow of poverty — confessed to using the embezzled funds to pay for personal expenses, including her gambling habit.
What are the details?
Kreuper, 79, was charged Tuesday with one count of wire fraud and one count of money laundering, and in a plea agreement the same day pleaded guilty to both charges, the Associated Press reported.
According to the outlet, “Kreuper acknowledged diverting money to pay for personal expenses that included credit card charges and ‘large gambling expenses incurred at casinos,’ the U.S. attorney’s office said.”
She admitted to taking a total of $835,000 in donations from the elementary school, and faces up to 40 years in federal prison.